Saturday, July 28, 2012

Olympic Games: "Have nations" vs. "Have not nations" - We can do better

     In years past I always looked forward to the Olympic Games - summer or winter.  They say that age brings knowldege and wisdom.  I don't know about you but I find that my overall interest and support for the Olympic Games is rapidly declining as I age.  Last nights opening ceremony left me with the feeling that the Olympic Games is no more than an event for the "have nations" or those who believe themselves to be "have nations" to compete and party lavishly among themselves. 

     Don't get me wrong.  I am an avid sports fan.  I love sport and competition.  As a young man I played hockey, soccer and I boxed competively until my first year at McGill University.  As a result of my exposure to compettitive sport I know perhaps better than the average person that developing high level atheletes is less a function of natural ability than a function of having the means to invest in training and development.  Germany, Japan, U.S.A., China and other "have nations" produce successful athletes because they have the economic means to do so.  Countries like Dominica and the Phillipines don't produce successful athletes because they do not have the means to. It is that simple. 

     The Olympic Games, the Olympic spirt and sports fans would be better served if the I.O.C. in collaboration with the "have nations" was to place greater emphasis on ensuring that the "have not nations" have the means to train and develop their athletes.  This little step would increase the level of competition and would ensure the continued survival of the Olympic Games.  Competition where the "have nations" win consistently and the "have not nations" are merely happy to be at the party is not what I thought the Olympic spirt was all about.  There is as far as I can see no justifiable reason why the I.O.C. and the governments of the "have nations" are unable to ensure that the "have not nations" are better able to train and develop their athletes. 

        

No comments:

Post a Comment